Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Speak Up

Our world today is ever-growing and ever-changing. Technology continues to advance each and every day. With so many resources and opportunities at our fingertips, it only makes sense that current and future educators should open up this world of technological opportunity to their students!

I strongly believe in everything that the Stand Up Project is fighting for. We need to provide students with an engaging and relevant education that aptly prepares them for our technologically advanced world. Education in the twenty-first century should not be limited to old textbooks and the student's desk in the classroom. Let's open up a brand new door of opportunities for our students!

Look at all of the amazing resources that we use in the college atmosphere. Cougar Courses, online classes, blogging for homework.... Now compare our experience in college to our experience in high school. How about middle school? Elementary? I can't necessarily speak for my fellow classmates, but I know that in my past scholastic experience, I did not have the option to take advantage of such resources. I do, however, already see schools taking steps toward opening the technological "door" to their students, and it is very encouraging! Thanks to previous classes, as well as my job as an elementary-level tutor, I often get the privilege of seeing how technology is enhancing learning today. One of my students, a second grader at Central Elementary School in Escondido, often tells me with excitement about the new vocabulary and spelling words that she learns through educational games on the class iTouches. While observing at Shoal Creek Elementary last semester, I was able to watch first, second, and fifth graders use computer programs and games for spelling and math practice. Electronics such as these definitely can and should find their ways into public school systems across America.

Pages 21 and 22 of the Speak Up report include statistics that represent student and parent opinions on using games in the curriculum. 

(Figure 16, page 21)
(Table 3, page 22)

These numbers indicate that a rather large number of students and parents alike would be excited to include educational games in the classroom, as they are a great vehicle for "appealing to different learning styles," "engaging students," and "providing immediate feedback." With this in mind, I would like to try to mirror the efforts of Central Elementary and Shoal Creek Elementary, and incorporate personal electronics and computers into my curriculum. I recognize the importance of utilizing resources such as interactive gaming tools to engage children in learning, and will work hard to ensure that my students receive the enriching experiences that technology can offer them.

Another idea that I found incredibly interesting is the concept of a "textbook" that is completely online. Pages 23-25 of the Stand Up report explain what this would entail, and how students and parents feel about it. 


(Figure 17, page 23)

(Figure 19, page 24)

(Table 4, page 25)

It seems as though a majority of students and parents are interested in this concept of online "textbooks," and would like them to include aspects such as games, tutors, social interaction, video clips, assessments, activities, and a variety of other learning tools and resources. This concept is so intriguing to me that I printed out the entire Speak Up article for future reference, so that I may design a class website or portal that incorporates all these desired aspects. I definitely feel that a carefully crafted online class "textbook" such as this could prove to be immeasurably beneficial not only to students, but also to parents, teachers, and other staff members.

I learned a great deal from the Speak Up Project, and am excited to further explore ways to enhance the elementary school experience with technology!
                                                             

1 comment:

  1. Angela,
    Outstanding model post for this first reading. Thank you for adding the graphics to your posts. It adds a lot and makes reading even more interesting.
    Dr. Hayden

    ReplyDelete